Tuesday, March 31, 2009

State of the Blog Address

So, it appears I have a decent group of readers now, so I thought this might be the time I talk about things I was thinking of doing in the blog. I'd really like to hear what you guys would like to read though, because that'll probably be the driving force behind what gets put here.

First off, I do intend to finish all the PHB2 guides. We're halfway done, and the Invoker guide is something I'm reading up for right now and will have up soon. I have offered to extend the guides and do reviews of feats, powers, and paragon paths after I have done the low level guides for the remaining four classes (Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, and Warden), but I haven't heard whether people want that or not. Also, a couple people have mentioned me doing similar articles for the PHB1 classes, and if there is enough interest for it I'm willing. And while we're on the subject of guides, I do plan to do shorter guides on all the builds that come out with Arcane Power and any other character sourcebooks that should come out.

I will also continue spotlighting monsters that I think are cool in my monster spotlight articles. As well as some other tips and tricks articles for DMs where I will point out other things like templates, traps, hazards and tactics that might benefit your game. However the real thing I want to see if there is interest in, is if I start writing my own adventure series and putting them up here. They would be free, though donations would be welcome, and each would be probably 10-12 encounters in length. Perhaps I could even get some feedback from readers that will help determine the path the adventures take. Again, this is just an idea, and whether or not it will become more than that will be determined by your feedback.

One last thing is a request for anyone who knows anything about web design and/or blogspot and who would like to make this better, go ahead and contact me. Either leave a comment, or email me at l8july@hotmail.com, and maybe we can get this place spruced up a bit.

8 comments:

  1. As much as I love the guides, the Monster spotlights are my favorite feature. It's a great way to get some of those underused or overlooked creatures some play time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarx, I check your blog everyday, great work! As a newbie to D&D I really appreciate the mechanics-oriented articles on the different classes. Sometimes I have no idea if an ability is useful or garbage and I hate not knowing until its too late. The monster spotlights are great too, and I hope you do a round-up of the levels you've already covered when MMII is released later in the year!

    As far as writing your own adventure path, I would certainly read them! If you only want to commit the time and effort to it if you know people are actually interested in them, maybe you should write a summary of your game world or premise as a test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would LOVE to read your adventures, Sarx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me say that I've been keeping up with your blog and I love every post you've done. I'd say that the Monster rundown is my favorite segment thus far, but I'm really interested in your adventure series as well.

    One minor complaint I have is that during your race discussion for the classes can get a little long winded so I skim over that part. Otherwise, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about skill challenges. I know they've changed target DCs and people have developed alternate systems, but for our group they still feel forced and I'm not sure we really get it. Probably there's nothing really to get but I think sometimes we're missing out. Would love to see your take on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been checking this blog semi-frequently for a few games. You've got fun ideas, and you write well. Keep it up - I'm looking forward to what you've got to say about the sorcerer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like you have plenty lined up for now, Sarx. I'll chime in with suggestions when you start running out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sarx,

    You haven't posted in a while, so I thought maybe a new comment might prompt you. I hope it does because this has been my favorite D&D blog.

    I'm brand new to the game and the analysis of the classes that you have covered has been superb. That being said, I'd love for you to cover the other classes. I've been toying around with a couple of characters and you insight would be appreciated.

    Also, an article on multiclassing and evaluating the synergy of classes and powers would be really helpful. Do you think crossing roles (e.i. multiclassing a leader with a defender, etc.) would be useful or spread you too thin? On the other hand, would mc-ing with another of the same role (maybe Bard to Cleric or whatever) be useful in making a character better at whatever funtion you try to fill in a group. I am specifically interested in that I find myself drawn to Bards, and while I'm happy with a straight Bard build, multiclassing seems to be encouraged in the Bard. I want to be sure I'm not missing out on something with this or any other class I might want to play.

    And as far as your original adventures, bring it on! You obviously have the experience to know what would mechanically make a solid campaign. Now, let's see you flex those storytelling muscles, DM.

    ReplyDelete